We represent a wide range of clients before the state and federal courts as well as various governmental agencies, on intellectual property matters. In general, intellectual property (IP) is an umbrella term for various legal entitlements which attach to certain types of information, ideas, or other intangibles in their expressed form. More specifically the term intellectual property reflects the idea that the subject matter is the product of the mind or the intellect, and that IP rights may be protected at law in the same way as any other form of property.
A substantial amount of our experience is representing clients on intellectual property matters before the U.S. federal and state courts, the United States Patent and Trademark Office, the United States Copyright Office, the Department of Homeland Security, the Office of United States Customs and Border Protection, and the Library of Congress.
In addition to acting as counsel on behalf of clients before the different governmental agencies and courts set out above, we also act on behalf of clients in negotiations in the private sector such as patent and trademark licensing, patent and trademark enforcement and defense, and intellectual property acquisition.
One competitive advantage Kane & Co., PLC can offer is their network of highly qualified scientists, engineers, and other attorneys. Through this network we can conduct searches that provide the best possible indication of whether intellectual property rights may be available and any obstacles that may be encountered.
The following is a list of services provided by the firm:
- Client Counseling
- Patent Searches (including patentability searches, patent infringement searches, and state of the art searches)
- Trademark Searches (including trademark clearance and availability searches, and trademark infringement searches)
- Provisional and Non-Provisional patent applications, domestically and worldwide
- National stage patent applications claiming priority to prior applications filed under the Paris Convention Treaty
- Domestic and foreign trademark and service marks applications, trademark oppositions and trademark cancellations
- Registration of copyrights in non-dramatic literary works and music (both scores and lyrics)
- Litigation services involving intellectual property rights, particularly the defense of individuals and corporations accused of infringing upon patents, trademarks, and the trade dress or packaging of others